Yoshihiro Nakamura



"Holmesglen gave me the opportunity to learn about the real Australian work environment, but also I enjoyed studying in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere."

Erica Hsieh


"Melbourne is a fantastic place to live in. The people are all friendly and caring, and the multicultural aspect makes it a very diverse place to live and study in. I feel that every day in Melbourne is different, and some of my new friends that I’ve met here are truly fantastic."

Gail kampengele



"I would recommend anyone thinking of studying abroad to think of Australia and Holmesglen. Let’s face it, who doesn’t want Christmas in the sun!"

Renato Chagas Prieto



"I really enjoyed my time at Holmesglen. Firstly, because of the people I met, from all over the world and between some of us we developed a truthful lasting friendship."

Efrain Froilan Carasas Castillo



"The lecturers at Holmesglen are wonderful. They are friendly, approachable, supportive and willing to help. It’s such a great experience to be taught by people who are at the forefront of their filed."



Australia uses the decimal system - with 100 cents to the dollar. The bank notes in use are $5.00 (pink), $10.00 (blue), $20.00 (red), $50.00 (yellow) and $100.00 (green). Silver-coloured coins are 5, 10, 20, 50 cents and the $1 and $2 coins are gold-coloured.

It should never be necessary for you to carry large amounts of cash around.

Cost of Living

The lifestyle in Australia is safe and friendly. Australians have a high standard of living. The climate is pleasant, there is plenty of food and the vast natural resources in Australia enable most people to live well.

Fruit, vegetables and meat are available fresh and at reasonable prices, particularly when shopping at a market. Clothing and personal effects are usually good quality, available at a wide variety of prices.

When thinking about your budget, remember that you are responsible for paying:

Tuition fees by 15 January and 15 June each year
Accommodation costs
Living expenses including food, power, telephone, transport and entertainment
Uniforms (for Hospitality, Cookery and Nursing students)
Emergency expenses.

As a guide, allow at least $300 per week for living expenses - which includes accommodation, gas, electricity, telephone, food, transport, textbooks and entertainment.

$600-800 should be enough to cover expenses for the first few days. Other funds carried with you should be in the form of a bank draft to be drawn in Australian dollars on an Australian bank. Once you have opened a bank account in Australia, you can have money sent by electronic transfer directly to your account. This can take 3-4 working days. It is advisable to transfer funds electronically when depositing large sums of money.

For a single student, you will need around $18,610 per year excluding tuition fees. This amount depends on the type of accommodation you choose, the food you buy and how much you spend on entertainment. Married students will need to budget for an additional 35%.

Of course, owning a car, a mobile phone and having a computer linked to the internet will see your living costs increase considerably.

Part-time Work

International students may work up to 20 hours per week the semester. Your visa states ‘Student Visa’ and study should remain your main priority while you are in Australia.

Working part-time can help you to improve your English, make friends and earn some pocket money. It is not a good idea to rely on this income to pay your expenses. Jobs may be difficult to find but Student Services has an employment service open to students. Counsellors, books and videos are available to assist students to improve their job seeking skills, such as resume writing, letters of application and interview skills.

Here are some useful websites to assist you when looking for part-time work




You are reminded that as an international student you are NOT permitted to work more than 20 hours per week or you risk visa cancellation by DIAC.

Tax File Number (TFN)

To work in Australia you need to obtain a tax file number. The tax year runs from 1 July to 30 June.  If you work you must lodge a tax return to the Australian Taxation Office by 31 October each year. 

Normally an overseas student who comes to Australia to pursue a course of study which is longer than 6 months will be treated as a resident of Australia for taxation purposes only.

Note: Residency for taxation purposes may be different to residency for immigration purposes. If you are a student, you may be a resident for taxation purposes but NOT for immigration purposes.

For further information about Tax File Numbers and details of how to register for one can be found on the Australian Taxation Office website http://www.ato.gov.au/.


The Australian banking system is one of the worlds most advanced systems and has a long history of stable and safe banks. There are many banks to choose from in Melbourne and they generally offer similar services. Listed below are the major banks, to view their website and find out more information please click on their link. 


Most major banks can assist you with exchanging foreign currency.

Credit cards and charge cards are widely accepted in Australia. The most common are: Visa, American Express, Diners Club, Master Card, Euro Card and Bank Card.

An Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) is a machine operated by a bank or credit union that dispenses banknotes and allows limited transactions 24 hours a day.  ATMs can be found at banks and shopping centres, allowing access to cash both during and outside of business hours.  You would need a credit card or debit bankcard which is available from your bank.

Electronic Funds Transfer at Point of Sale (EFTPOS) is available in most shops and allows you to use a credit or bankcard to purchase goods

It is important for your personal safety that you do not carry large amounts of cash.  Most shops accept payment by EFTPOS and you can pay bills via the internet – including your tuition fees.

Payment of Tuition Fees

After a student commences at Holmesglen, fees for subsequent study periods are due two weeks prior to the commencement of the study period. Invoices to students will indicate a due date that is compliant with current ESOS requirements.

Payment can be made by cash, credit card, a bank cheque made out in Australian dollars or at Post Office money order. A personal cheque or travellers’ cheques will not be accepted. Students may also pay by BillPay or at an Australia Post agency once they have received an invoice from Holmesglen. 

Payment of tuition fees is expected prior to the due date, unless an extension for payment has been previously arranged with a manager at the International Centre. Payment in instalments is NOT accepted. A penalty fee may apply for payments made after course commencement.

Once courses have commenced, the International Centre is obliged to notify DIAC of all students who have not paid their fees and not returned to study at Holmesglen. 

For more about Holmesglen